Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Thoughts on the book "Plan B"

One of the most impactful books I've ever read is a book called "Plan B" by Pete Wilson. I actually read it several months ago and have been slowly journaling about it over the past few months. So, I thought that I would post about something from the book that affected me for the next several weeks.

The subtitle of the book is "What do you do when God doesn't show up the way you thought he would". It's essentially about any circumstance that may have changed one's life in some capacity: loss of job, loss of loved one, miscarriage, illness, etc.

Of course for us, the major life-changing circumstance was Micah's diagnosis of Tuberous Sclerosis. It changed the direction of our lives and showed us that we don't always know what God has in store, even if we plan in certain ways and think we know.

So here are the first two quotes:
"Our trials of life seem to chip away at us, leaving us exhausted, confused, and vunerable. We resign ourselves to the fact that things simply are the way they are and there is no hope that they will ever be any different. Feeling hopeless, we either run, taking things into our own hands, or we give up instead of waiting on God to act."

"Control is an illusion-we don't like being reminded of that. We want to win, be right, and do it our way-this powerful desire leaks into our marriages, our jobs, our parenting. The only thing you do control is how you respond to your disappointments and your unexpected obstacles. You can allow the river of fear, anger, and disappointment to just rage-that will affect every relationship you touch, every job, every plan you dream."

I can say that I haven't always responded well to the disappointments and unexpected obstacles. I think I am continually learning how to deal with fear and anger. I think that I have learned over the past 5 and a half years that giving up control is a process and a continual way of growing in my faith.

2 comments:

Amy D said...

Thanks for reminding me of that book Kel. Sounds great. I'll write it down.

sandra said...

Thanks for sharing. I really needed to hear this today.