Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nebraska trip

Kevin & Karen in front of their restaurant

Tour of the stadium

Didn't purchase it, but had to try it on.

cool fountain

indoor practice facility
Wayne and I went to Nebraska for a few days at the end of September. Grandma & Grandpa came to stay at our house with the kids. It was our first time away together without the kids in about a year and a half. I had always wanted to go to a Husker football game in Lincoln. We had been once to see them play in the Cotton bowl a few years ago, but I had never been to one at Memorial Stadium.
We arrived on Thursday evening and had dinner with Brett (Wayne's Christian Challenge director in college) & Mary Yohn at Laslow's which is one of Wayne's favorite restaurants in Lincoln. It was great to see the Yohn's and catch up with them. We walked around the campus on Friday and were treated to lunch at Bread & Cup by Kevin (one of Wayne's mentors in college) and Karen Shinn, who own the restaurant. The food was delicious; I definitely recommend it if you are ever in Lincoln! Friday night we went to eat at Yia Yia's, some of the best pizza I've ever had! We went to a movie afterwards, which is a rare treat for us! Saturday we went to breakfast at Bread & Cup. They had delicious breakfast and very good coffee (so important in our book). The morning was cool and cloudy, so we hung out at Barnes & Noble for a while, also a rare treat for us.
We headed over to the stadium around 4:30 and got seated in plenty of time, a little too much time, ooh, did I say that out watch the game which started at 6. By that time, the sun had come out and it was near perfect temperature. The Huskers won the game, but didn't blow the South Dakota jackrabbits out as expected. They didn't play that well and so the crowd was not into it as much as I expected they would be. It was still fun and amazing to see 86,000 in attendance.
Sunday morning we went to church at New Covenant where Wayne was a member when he lived there. We enjoyed it and started making our way home afterwards. It was so good to see our boys. Micah just smiled and giggled when we came in the house. They missed us, but did great and had fun with Grandma & Grandpa. We so enjoyed our time and were appreciative of Wayne's parents for being willing to take on our kids for four days!

No comments: