Sunday, December 03, 2006

Our appointment went well last Monday about the Ketogenic diet. We went with the idea that it was a consultation, but soon realized they thought we were ready to start it immediately. They mentioned two dates for early this month and so we quickly told them we want to wait until January. We were quite pleased with the Drs., nurse, and dietician we met with. There wasn't anything new to learn since we have been doing research on this for several months, but we did come to the conclusion that it is something worth pursuing with Micah.

So, the projected start date it January 22 which will include Micah being hospitalized for 4-5 days so that the medical staff can monitor how his body is accepting the diet. We will let you know more details as the time draws nearer.
Thanks for your responses to last week’s blog either through comments here, via email, or in person. I appreciate your affirmation and as always, we all appreciate your continued prayers. We welcome any comments, challenges,etc.
I don’t know that I’ll give a book quote every time I write, but I will this time, again. I do read a lot (one of my friends this week said “How do you have time to read?”); I enjoy it a lot at night (after Micah‘s in bed), and choose it most nights over TV. Anyway, so one of the books I’m reading right now is ‘Uprising’ by Erwin McManus, who happens to be one of my favorite authors. He’s talking about Jesus saying you need to have the faith of a mustard seed and how it’s often interpreted to mean we don’t have enough faith when what he’s actually saying is to have at least a bit of faith. So this is going to be long, but I’m quoting it because it’s good and is right at the heart of our struggle in the last 15 months since Micah’s diagnosis.
“He’s not saying we need to have more faith; He’s actually telling us we just need to have some. It’s not about making your faith bigger. All you need is mustard-seed sized faith. The implication is any less is none at all. Jesus was not calling us to work up our faith. He was calling us to simply put faith in God. It is not our faith in an event that is critical, but our faith in God Himself. It is not about believing in a miracle or believing for a miracle; it is about an unshakable confidence in the character of God.”
When I read that, it was an affirmation to me. Since August of ‘05, we have had many people tell any one of these things “You need to have more faith, God doesn’t want Micah to have Tuberous Sclerosis, he wants him to be healed, you need to pray more, start quoting those scriptures and claim healing for him, etc...” We had people send us material about people who were healed, etc. and that’s fine. We’re still open to hearing those stories and we do pray for his healing. He has been anointed with oil and prayed over during a church service. Yet, I believe God allowed him to have TS for some reason. I believe he is sovereign and has Micah’s life in his hands. While we struggle and question at times, we trust in God’s love and faithfulness daily.
Kelly

5 comments:

Charley & Marianne said...

Amen friend!! His ways are not always understandable, but He is sovereign. We love you all. The pics are just darling. Micah is such a handsome guy and has the BEST smile!

Anonymous said...

I just got the opporutnity to read your blog. I know doing this is much easier to communicate with all of those that love you and want to know how things are going. I appreciate your transparency thru it all and it will glorify the Father.
The pictures are just darlin'! He is Mr Smiles!
Please know we love you guys and are praying for a miracle also. I am right with you on the faith of a mustard seed. People did the same thing when Karen was sick. In fact the night that she started her walk to heaven, I asked God to heal her, because I knew he could.
He is able, and sometimes I think thats why we get mad. Being mad is act of faith of sorts, because you KNOW He can, WHY DOESN'T HE!
More later! Keep the blogs coming.

Love Pam

Anonymous said...

I love hearing from you--and I especially love your incredible faith! Micah is such a darling, but at the same time, I feel your tiredness over lack of sleep. I pray for strength for you two tall ones and contentment for the small one--that the diet would endeed offer some solutions! Love and prayers, Donna

Anonymous said...

My heart just broke when i realized that friends have hurt you with calls of more faith. I have been preaching for years that all God asks is a little trust and He will carry us. Amen to Erwin McManus, also one of my favorite people. I hope you have a great Christmas and I look forward to hearing about the progress with this new diet. You are in my prayers!
Love Kyle

Anonymous said...

Kelly and Wayne,
I appreciate your honesty and love for our Father.
I know through this past year we have ask a lot of questions like: why? what in the world is happening? and do you hear us Lord? He can handle that- I believe ,as long as we seek Him through our pain.
When we look to Jesus we find comfort that He never leaves us or forsakes us.
I am thankful for you and the testimony that you are of God's grace.
We continue to pray and trust our Mighty God for a miracle and until Micah receives complete restoration may we look for God in the everyday miracles like... making through each day. He is faithful.
Be encouraged dear friends that you are loved and many are lifting you to the Father.
Jerm 33:3
D&D